Brads Mods – Nordstrand Big BladeMan with a Custom 3b Preamp
MusicMan player’s I have come up with something very special for you! This will be a awesome upgrade that’s going to dramatically change your bass and turn it into an absolute beast!
I have taken the amazing Nordy Big BlameMan pickup and had a custom 3 Band Preamp made to get the very best out of this unique blade pickup. Essentially this is two Jazz Blade Pickups in a Humbucker casing that you can now run in Serries or Parallel wiring, or go Passive with the push/pull knob on the volume control. Another push/pull control for the Mids with frequency shift (1kHz down, pull up for 400Hz). Am i missing anything?
Nordstrand Big BladeMan Pickup Specifications:
- 2 Big Jazz Blades in a 4 String MM cover.
- Drop-in replacement 4 String MM bass pickup.
- Ceramic magnets.
- Laser cut vulcanized fiber bobbins.
- Wax-potted to contain any unruly frequency that may attempt to desecrate your desired tone.
Big BladeMan pickup’s blueprint is Carey Nordstrand’s take on the highly praised and nowadays rarely seen Wal® Bass Pickup. It is a simpler, more hands on design whose monstrous tone is easy to manipulate and shape to fit any player’s own personal style. The birth of the Big BladeMan 4 was catalyzed by a conversation with Tool’s Justin Chancellor.* Through using Justin’s famous tone as a base for shaping the pickup’s sonic character, Carey was able to come up with a design combining the Nordstrand aesthetic with Justin’s edgy and powerful bass lines. Essentially, through using the power we have discovered within the prospects of our various blade designs, Carey attempted to Nordify a few details within Justin’s sound. Many would agree that he did a damn good job.
Custom 3 Band Nordstrand Preamp
- Volume with Push/Pull, Active/Passive switching
- Treble +/- 12db @ 4khz
- Mids (pull frequency shift) 1kHz down, pull up for 400Hz.
- Bass +/- 12db @ 50Hz. With Push/Pull, Parallel/Serries switching.
- Wired for a single pickup, specifically for the Big BladeMan.
Check out this great demo from Lowend Lobster in his Ultimate Stingray Strange Pickup demo. Important to note that this is not using the preamp I have had custom made, but it gives you an idea of what the Big BladeMan is like on it’s own.